Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Embrace:Me

When a woman sits down to watch a television show, she is bombarded with commercials that advertise products that promise to help you lose a pound an hour, be able to train for and run a marathon in a month, and make your face look as taut and youthful as a newborn's. Among these magical cures is the Special K Diet, which a fellow blogger and runner has debunked and is fighting to eradicate. In addition to her movement to banish the Special K "Diet", she has also started a movement entitled "Embrace:ME". She boldly announced and acknowledged her flaws and, through this acknowledgement, is learning to embrace them. So, Emilie (whom I do not personally know and whose message has already reached Arkansas), here's my story.

(my big camera is in my dorm, but you get the idea)

Okay, so here's me, 23 pounds down from my starting point in August. While I still have a way to go, I'm definitely content with where I am. I have big hips, plenty of junk in the trunk, "thunder" thighs, and calves that won't fit in normal boots. But those parts are gonna power me through the next 800+ miles and my marathon next year. Beyond that, those hips will help me have babies one day. Those "thunder" thighs are what allows me to teach Zumba. Those calves look damn good in high heels. I've never had a Carmen Electra tummy, and if by the grace of God my ab muscles are ever defined, it will have been through hours and hours and hours of hard work. But, hey, I'm okay with that. Part of my ultimate acceptance of whatever my body decided to throw at me was my tattoo. It says "make your own luck" in my mom's handwriting... You have to make your own luck and make your own happiness, and that involves loving, accepting, and embracing every single part of yourself.



Yes, I plan on losing a little more weight. Yes, I plan on running a marathon.  Hell, I'm probably going to run more than one. But, you know what, I'm loving myself now, so that when I'm in marathon shape and have the best stomach of my life, I'm gonna enjoy it as a reflection of my hard work. I will also have the confident knowledge now and then that, no matter how old I am or how my body looks, I'm a wonderful, caring, loving, beautiful person. That's what counts.

3 comments:

  1. love love love it.
    you're awesome.
    and i love you just the way you are! :)

    i'm doing my Embrace:me post maybe tonight or tomorrow.. hopefully.
    I need to do something useful with my time! hahaha.
    i'm a freaking bum right now.

    kbyeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're looking great! keep it up! <3

    ReplyDelete